CARE is seeking an experienced Assistant Country Director - Program (ACD-P) in Maputo, Mozambique. The ACD-P is responsible for ensuring that CARE's programs in the country of her/his assignment contribute to CARE's vision of "a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been eliminated and people live with dignity and security". The ACD-P is expected to provide strategic leadership in the areas of resource mobilization, program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and ensure that CARE's programs/projects make a significant contribution to reducing poverty and social injustice. The ACD-P is responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of program strategies and innovative program approaches appropriate for the specific environments in which CARE works.
S/he manages a team of professionals focused on the design, funding, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programs and projects (including emergency programs) that effectively address the underlying causes of poverty in line with CARE's Programming Principles.
S/he ensures that systems and people are in place to ensure the proper operational and financial management and implementation of those projects and programs and that all program staff are working closely and interdependently with colleagues from program support, including Finance, Admin, HR, etc. S/he works closely with, and is supported by the program units at regional and CARE International HQ levels.
The ACD-P is a key member of the Country Office Senior Management Team and as such is responsible for leading and supporting CO initiatives. S/he is responsible for (along with the CD) maintaining good working relationships with host government officials, donors and other partners. S/he may be required to become Acting CD when the CD is out of the country.
- Staff Management
- Program Strategy and Development
- Program Management, Operations, and implementation
- Reflective Practice and Learning
- External Relations and Partnerships
- Master's Degree in related field
- 5 years in a senior management position in the development field
- At least three years' experience managing USAID/PEPFAR supported projects
- Excellent understanding of economic development and poverty analysis
- Demonstrable experience of at least three years managing multi-million dollar portfolios
- Minimum requirement for language is fluency in Spanish or French as Portuguese acquisition will be required
- Program Development and Management
- People/Relationship Management
- Financial Management
- Information/Knowledge Management
- External Relationships/Fundraising
- Experience in emergency preparedness and response
- Experience and knowledge of operationalizing a rights-based approach
- Demonstrated experience with proposal development with range of international donors (i.e USAID, EU, DFID,CIDA)
- Experience and skills in organizational change processes
Status: Regular Full-time
Location: Maputo, Mozambique
Expected Travel Percentage: 30%
Our diversity is our strength; we encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences, particularly women, to apply.