Tostan is a US 501(c)(3) organization that was founded in Senegal in 1991 in order to educate and empower Africans who have had little or no access to formal schooling. Tostan’s community-led program, the Community Empowerment Program (CEP), has resulted in thousands of villages deciding to abandon the practices of female genital cutting and child/forced marriage, increase formal education of children, use problem solving and literacy skills to generate income and further develop local economies, and increase access to healthcare. This vibrant organization is rapidly scaling its successful model across Africa as is in need of a Director of M onitoring, Evaluation, Research, and Learning (MERL).
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage Tostan International Department of Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) which coordinates processes of M&E in Tostan's eight countries by applying participatory techniques to promote organizational learning.
- Work with Tostan International Program team to define M&E plans for all CEP program including CEP indicators, systems for measurement, and needs for reporting. Will also work on innovations to current methods and approaches;
- Will coordinate with the eight national coordinators on program implementation, plan staff monitoring and evaluation training, and plan internal assessments, program evaluations and reports;
- Will oversee master program execution and planning calendar for all Tostan projects to plan for monitoring system functions with International Program team in conjunction with national offices;
- Will ensure timely data collection, analysis of information, and delivery to report-writers in an accessible format;
- Will ensure information tracking function;
- Will work with external consultants, donors and research partners to refine content of M&E tools and methodologies, plan research activities, and promote Tostan’s innovative methodologies;
- Will supervise outside research projects conducted by Tostan-approved researchers, in coordination with the Volunteer Coordinator;
- Will oversee the planning and development of village portraits and other program case studies;
- Will oversee the collection of lessons learned and presentations to staff, integration into new projects;
- Will contribute to the development of new project proposals with updated language on MERL strategies, and prepare standard costing for monitoring functions in each country.
The position is located in Dakar, Senegal, in Tostan’s international office. International travel is required.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
Qualifications and Selection Criteria
Bachelors Degree in relevant field required with a Master degree preferred .
Fluency in verbal and written French and English is required.
Knowledge & Experience
- 5 years of Monitoring and Evaluation experience
- Experience leading, mentoring and building the capacity of staff, ideally within international, cross-cultural teams
- Experience with community-led development or human rights organizations as a Manager
- A clear understanding of how to navigate and influence within the international development and non-profit sectors
- Proven track record of strong project and budget management skills
- Experience working in multicultural environment
- Experience with Software such as Word, Excel, Access and Application in M/E department
- Excellent verbal communication, writing, and editing skills
- Thrives in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment and manages multiple projects effectively
- A natural mentor and coach who enjoys building the skills and knowledge of the individuals on his or her team
- Enjoys working in a multi-lingual, multi-cultural environment
- Builds relationships at all levels and communicates effectively with people in various locations and functions
- Believes strongly in Tostan's mission to empower African communities to bring about sustainable development and positive social transformation based on respect for human rights
This is a local hire from a salary perspective and does not include expatriate benefits, although candidates from all geographical areas will be considered.