Reporting to the Director of Development, the Senior Development Officer will assist the Director in implementing ICTJ’s development strategy. The Senior Development Officer will focus primarily on supporting the development needs of ICTJ’s field-based country teams and US-based staff in identifying and securing fundraising opportunities. He or she will be responsible for providing support to Program Office, consisting of regional, country and thematic programmatic work, assisting with their program design, proposal writing and reporting on accomplishments. This is a regular full-time position.Responsibilities
- Write proposals and reports for governments, foundations, and other prospects. Work with members of the program staff and the finance unit to create or fine-tune proposal budgets, and, with finance, approve proposal budgets prior to submission.
- Maintain regular contact with ICTJ field teams and ICTJ’s U.S.-based Program Directors to track progress in meeting budgetary goals and to set specific steps for pursuing funding opportunities.
- Communicate and cultivate relationships with current and prospective government donors to provide information about ICTJ and facilitate successful solicitation. This may involve preparing regular email/web updates on program results, publications and events.
- Assist the Director in updating fundraising strategies for approximately 15 donor governments, updating with information from donors themselves, from ICTJ staff, and from internet and other research.
- Work with Development and Program staff to ensure ongoing prospect research and cultivation.
- Organize government donor site visits and develop meeting strategies and prep senior staff for donor interactions. This may involve preparing talking points on ICTJ’s work for senior staff.
- Travel to field offices, as needed, to support teams in designing new programs, writing proposals, and establishing work plans and detailed budgets.
- Assist the Director in ensuring maintenance of donor data and assist with improvements in the utilization of donor database.
- Assist the Director in developing the budget and work plans.
- Other duties as necessary.
Education: BA degree is required; graduate degree is highly desirable.
Experience: Minimum of eight years fundraising experience or similar skills exhibited in a programmatic role at the international level.
Related Skills or Knowledge
- Extensive experience in raising funds or designing programs and proposals for international organizations; Experience with human rights organizations is highly desirable.
- Ability to work effectively with internal and external constituencies, including individuals of influence and affluence.
- Experience in developing budgets for international programs.
- Ability to work on short deadlines and to work productively with diverse and geographically disbursed teams, and to support strong program design, budgeting, and proposal development processes.
- Supervisory experience is desirable with the experience in giving guidance and advice.
- Excellent Oral and written communication skills in English is required and working knowledge of at least one other language along with public speaking experience is highly desirable.
- Superb computer skills, knowledge of donor databases (especially Raiser’s Edge) is required.
- Attention to detail. Energetic, conscientious, up-beat self-starter who enjoys working in teams and individually.
Please send cover letter with salary requirements, resume, writing samples, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Position is open until filled. Please write the job title in the subject line of the email. This is a regular full-time position.