Oxfam-Pacific Livelihoods Programme Officer
|NAME OF ORGANIZATION||Oxfam New Zealand|
|POSITION||Pacific Livelihoods Programme Officer|
|SALARY||NZ$54,700 - $57,750 per annum|
|LOCATION||Auckland, New Zealand|
|APPLICATION DEADLINE||20th Sep 2011|
|DURATION OF CONTRACT||3 years (extendable)|
Pacific Livelihoods Programme Officer, 3 years (extendable)
Auckland, New Zealand
Oxfam New Zealand is an international development organisation, affiliated to Oxfam International.
Working with people caught in extreme poverty, we provide practical support with essentials like safe water, basic education and a reliable food supply. When natural disasters or conflicts strike, we seek to save lives and to help communities recover. We also ensure there are lasting solutions by advocating for change to the structures and policies that keep people in poverty.
Oxfam New Zealand has supported livelihoods programming in the Pacific region for many years. We aim to create an enabling environment for small producers by influencing the policy and the regulatory framework that affects rural production and exports, and to help stimulate the production of specific crops that will meet basic needs and increase food security for poorer farmers. We also support disaster risk reduction activities that will help reduce vulnerability of rural livelihoods to external shocks and the effects of climate change.
The Pacific Livelihoods Programme Officer will be responsible for the day to day management of this programme, which includes ensuring that all activities are technically sound, coherent with Oxfam’s strategy, adhere to donor regulations and meet government priorities. The post holder will also seek to enhance the quality of programme implementation by Oxfam’s partners in Samoa, Tonga and Vanuatu, and will be responsible for ongoing monitoring of quality and impact.
Our ideal applicant will have:
· Strong practical experience of programme design, implementation, management and M&E of livelihoods and/or agricultural programmes in the Pacific
· Extensive expertise in rural development, with technical skills or knowledge in agriculture, integrated rural development, marketing, forestry and/or farmers’ organization sectors
· Knowledge or experience of organic certification processes and standards in the Pacific
· Knowledge of market analysis, value chain development, food security interventions in a rural context, gender equality mainstreaming and of climate change impacts
· Experience of developing partnerships and building the capacity of local organisations
· A degree in a relevant subject e.g. agriculture, rural development, social science, natural resource management or similar (preferably to masters level), and/or comparable professional experience
· Experience of proposal writing and donor reporting
· Good financial and staff management skills & experience
· Sensitivity and respect for cultural customs in the Pacific region
· Willingness to contribute to Oxfam’s humanitarian responses in times of natural disaster or emergencies
· Flexibility and the ability to travel to challenging locations
Depending on the skills and experience of the postholder, we are able to offer a salary of NZ$54,700 - $57,750 per annum (annual salary review pending) and relocation assistance, where applicable. Candidates also have the opportunity to join with a highly respected INGO and make a real difference to people living in poverty.
If interested, the job description is on the Oxfam New Zealand’s website at www.oxfam.org.nz. If you wish to make an application, please send a covering letter and up-to-date CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close on Tuesday, 20 September2011.
Oxfam is an equally opportunities employers and encourages diversity in the workplace.