Medair responded to the earthquake in Haiti and is implementing a transitional shelter programme in Jacmel and surrounding urban and rural areas in the South East district of Haiti. This programme will reach over 3,000 beneficiary households (approx 18,000 individuals) and run through to July 2011 providing basic safe transitional shelters. A 30-month shelter project is due to start in February 2011 that plans to reach 1,000 beneficiary households (approx. 6000 individuals) in a very underserved and rural area. Discussions are underway for the programme strategy post-July 2011.
To support the Country Director lead and manage all aspects of the implementation and development of the Medair Haiti (HTI) programme.
|Key Activity Areas|
· Oversee programme implementation in all sites in HTI according to project proposals, taking preventative and corrective action where necessary.
· Give input for monthly, quarterly and final reports for all projects. Brief and manage in/external evaluators.
· Ensure high quality of Medair visibility through reporting, website contributions and other media.
· Develop and maintain relationships with authorities, civil society, churches, NGOs, UN agencies and Donors with the objective of coordinating programme implementation.
· Lead the development of new project proposals, seeking timely input from the senior management team.
· Develop country strategy in liaison with Country Director and (Headquarters) Desk Officer.
· Ensure, with Projects Managers (PM), that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations, and within the appropriate timeframe.
· In liaison with PMs and Finance Dept, make budget adjustment recommendations to Country Director (in line with donor regulations).
· Directly supervise, manage and develop a team of five direct reports.
· Advise on recruitment of new staff.
· Help PMs in management of programme staff, including discipline, and motivation, by creating a good working atmosphere across the HTI team.
Security Focal Point
· To ensure the security of all programme personnel and Medair assets in Haiti
· University degree and / or relevant professional experience
· Degree in Development Studies desirable
· 2 years experience in a management position in a developing country
· Experience of planning and implementing projects
· Experience in writing reports and guideline documents
· Coaching and training experience desirable
· Management experience in a relief / rehabilitation environment desirable
· Construction background desirable
· Working knowledge of spoken and written French (working language)
· Creole basics desirable
· International driving licence required
|Specific Skills and Attributes|
· Good autonomy and deep sense of initiative and responsibility
· Capacity to work under pressure
· Motivated even when results are not immediately forthcoming
· Excellent communication skills in cross cultural context
· Good listener and diplomatic; Open minded
· Adaptability to changes, flexible; Intercultural sensitivity
· Ability to improvise and work with limited support
· Ability to establish priorities and plan ahead to meet objectives and deadlines
· Management skills (decisive and consultative)
· Conflict management skills; Strategic thinker
Medair standard working requirements for the field
· Committed Christians and committed to Medair values
· Reflect the vision and values of Medair when interacting with team members, beneficiaries and external contacts
· At least one year of professional experience in a relevant field (more experience preferred)
· Minimum 3 months inter-cultural overseas experience
· Willing to commit to Medair for a minimum of one year
· Single, or married (without dependent children)
· Aged 25 - 55 generally preferred
· Strong working knowledge of English (oral and written)
· Competent with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
· Able to live and work with a multicultural team under difficult conditions
· Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physically fit
· Successful completion of Medair Relief & Rehabilitation Orientation Course (ROC)
|Special Working Conditions|
· Jacmel is a relatively stable and safe city in the SE district of Haiti. Living conditions are good, with the team split between 2 concrete houses with running water / electricity most of the time, large enough to allow some privacy. Jacmel often experiences Hurricane seasons and has a Hurricane preparedness policy in place.
· The DCD will mainly spend his time at the office, in Jacmel, with regular trips to the field.
|Benefits and General Conditions|
· An allowance based upon the grade of the position and experience of the position-holder
· Full HQ organisational and role briefing, as well as in-country briefing
· Additional security training for those going to insecure environments
· All flights to and from the country programme
· Accommodation, food, and transportation in-country
· Comprehensive medical and emergency rescue insurance, with 60 days post assignment cover, which includes counselling, if necessary
· Annual leave
· Rest and Recuperation (R&R) leave including associated travel, accommodation and food expenses
· Additional benefits for those who commit to longer contracts – re-entry allowance or training allowance, extra flights to and from home, additional paid leave (up to 4 weeks) every 12 months
Medair is an international humanitarian organisation founded on Christian values. We believe the success of our operations is also based on recruiting candidates who will share our values and will be at ease in this dimension of our work. The full list of Medair values and their significance to our staff can be found by clicking here.
| All applications will be treated in the strictest confidentiality and fairness. |
We request that you complete all applications on-line at www.medair.org. Only English-language applications and CV’s will be reviewed. We will not review email applications. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is ongoing until the position is filled. We review every online application. Applicants will be contacted only if they are selected as a potential candidate.please click on the full details link.
Deputy Country Director - Programmes