UNDP Indonesia’s mission is to be an agent for change in the human and social development of Indonesia. We, the UNDP Country Office (CO), aim to be a bridge between Indonesia an all donors as well as maintaining our status as a trusted partner to all stakeholders. We work in four key areas of development: Governance Reforms, Pro-Poor Policy Reforms, Conflict Prevention and Recovery, and Environment Management, with the overarching aim of reducing poverty in Indonesia. Besides the four priority areas, UNDP Indonesia is also engaged in a variety of crosscutting initiatives focused on HIV/AIDS, gender equality, and information and technology for development.
I. Organizational Context
One of the CO programmes is the People-centred Development Programme (PCDP) that has been supporting local government institutions, civil society organizations and communities in the Papua region in their efforts to improve human development and to achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). The PCDP will continue to provide technical assistance to the local government and civil society to formulate, coordinate and implement appropriate, specific local development programmes in the targeted districts of Papua and West-Papua. The Programme will put more emphasis on improving the economic welfare of communities, in particular of indigenous Papuans, starting with a few concrete pilots to ensure that the results of programme interventions make an impact on the lives of communities and government’s efforts to reduce poverty, focusing on: 1) support at provincial and district levels in developing policies and programmes that are pro-poor, MDG-oriented, gender sensitive and OTSUS-based, building on a comprehensive assessment of the current socio-economic situation of the region with enhanced support to and stronger focus on district level governments; 2) empowering local communities to develop and implement programmes in the areas of health and education, in partnership with CSOs and local government; 3) improving the economic welfare of local communities, especially indigenous Papuans; and 4) facilitating linkages, cooperation and communication for a coordinated delivery of development assistance between and within the local Government and central government and with civil society and development agencies.
Solid Monitoring and Reporting is one of key components of any successful project, and determines how the project can explain and showcase to external stakeholders progress made and impacts delivered. A designated Project Management Unit (PMU) will be established to manage the implementation of the PCDP support programme and activities, and in this context, UNDP wishes to recruit M&E assistant to support the development of detailed result resource frameworks with quantifiable indicators, baselines and targets, specifically for managing data programme strategies, planning tools, and other strategic papers, concept notes, reports and other briefs.
Under direct supervision of the Project Manager and in close collaboration with staff from Project team, Programme teams in the CO and stakeholders, the M&E Officer will be responsible for tracking results and apply the monitoring framework as set up in the project document, in line with prevailing internal monitoring guidelines and ensure reporting arrangements are in place and are being implemented to ensure that the reporting requirements are met in a timely manner.
II. Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of Key Functions:
• Develop project monitoring and evaluation framework in accordance to corporate guideline
• Ensure quality of project reporting
• Effective management of the evaluation process
• Facilitate capacity building and contribute to the development of the knowledge management system
1. Develop project monitoring and evaluation framework in accordance to corporate guideline, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Effective development of the project Monitoring and Evaluation plan and its implementation.
- Inputs to the evaluation work plan, analysis and proposals on topics, and projects/programme to be evaluated.
- Promotion of evaluation standards, quality assurance/control and capacity development in the project office.
- Ensure that logframe performance and impact indicators are defined and SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time bound).
- Develop measurement methods and identify data sources for project performance and impact indicators, in conjunction with respective project component teams.
- Provide quality assurance through the development and implementation of an M&E Operations and Reporting Manual for the project.
- Ensure that the purpose of the M&E Operating Manual is being achieved and enabling decision-making on the project progression and development.
- Provide quality assurance with the development of a consolidated monthly reporting system and format for project staff, with designated sections for each project component.
- Timely data collection :project baseline and progress surveys (appropriate sample size and sampling survey methods and data collection procedures, data verification through, periodic site visits and trainings)
- Assist the project reviews and evaluations.
- Prepare annual work plans and associated budgets for M&E related activities.
2. Ensure quality of project reporting, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide quality assurance for regular M&E project report and take the lead in the preparation of project evaluation and/or review reports.
- Monitor M&R Associate in presentation of data based on information needs of project team and partners.
- Establish structured system to compile , consolidate project component monthly, quarter and annual reports and to monitor quality of draft press releases and pages of project webpages.
- Quality assurance reports as required by donor.
- Supervise M&R associate in updating project data on a timely basis.
- Establish and monitor reporting mechanism on progress on project implementation, activities undertaken, results achieved against targets and plan for follow up actions.
3. Supports effective management of the evaluation process in the project Office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Drafting/revision of Terms of Reference (TOR) for project evaluation missions and/or desk evaluations/reviews, participation in consultant and evaluation team selection, technical feedback on evaluations and budget oversight.
- Guidance on prevailing corporate evaluation policies, procedures and practices to project personnel, consultants and/or members of the evaluation team.
- Follow up on implementation of evaluation recommendations.
4. Facilitate capacity building and contribute to the development of the knowledge management system , focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Effective support the team members and project partners in the development of critical learning events, which will provide the opportunity to examine issues that arise during project implementation. These events aim to provide the team with critical information to enable them to make decisions in relation to their respective components and the project as a whole.
- Identification and formulation of lessons learned from evaluations and studies to be integrated into broader knowledge management efforts.
- Contribution to the implementation of Knowledge Management and Learning Strategy.
- Participation in results-oriented monitoring and evaluation training efforts in the project office
- Support to project staff in identification, documentation, drafting of best practices and lessons learned
- Effective showcase to external stakeholders on progress made and impacts delivered
- Participation in results-oriented monitoring and evaluation training efforts in the PMU
- Provide capacity building and transfer of knowledge to counterparts / local government officials at local level.
III. Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall performance PCDP project and success in implementation strategies. Accurate analysis, data entry and presentation of information provides the most effective showcase to external stakeholders on progress made and impacts delivered
IV. Competencies and Critical Success Factors
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Knowledge and understanding of evaluation and development evaluation in particular.
- Knowledge of current development issues particularly those pertinent to UNDP’s Practice Areas.
- Ability to conceptualize issues and analyze data.
- Ability to coordinate the work of others.
- Ability to implement new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
- Good knowledge of Results Management Guide and Toolkit
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
V. Recruitment Qualifications
Minimum Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Business/Public Administration or other related fields, or equivalent experience
Minimum 6 years for Bachelors or 2 years for Master’s degree of relevant experience in international development issues. Some experience in monitoring and evaluation with a background and interest in the analysis of socio-economic issues and related policy matters. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
|Location :||Jakarta, INDONESIA|
|Application Deadline :||01-May-11|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SC-8|
|Languages Required :||English|
|Duration of Initial Contract :||12 Months|
APPLICANT MUST COMPLETE P11 FORM AND SUBMIT AS PART OF THEIR APPLICATION . Click here to down load the form P11
UNDP Indonesia reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement.We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP Indonesia at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and education requirements