ICIMOD is a regional knowledge development and learning centre serving the eight member countries of the Hindu Kush-Himalayas – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal and Pakistan. Together with its partners and member countries, ICIMOD is committed to securing a better future for the people of the Hindu Kush-Himalayas through the development of an economically and environmentally sound mountain ecosystem.
ICIMOD promotes integrated and innovative geospatial solutions for mountain development through the Mountain Environment and Natural Resources Information Systems (MENRIS) Programme. MENRIS programme focuses on technology innovation, capacity building and training, development of mountain-specific applications and decision support systems. With the overarching goal of climate change adaptation, the current areas of applications include cryosphere, biodiversity, forestry/REDD+, disaster and transboundary air pollution.
The MENRIS programme is working on several new and exciting developments to promote geo-information and earth observation for the benefit of mountain communities in the region. Recently, ICIMOD joined hands with USAID and NASA to establish SERVIR-Himalaya, a programme aiming to provide linkage from “space to village” and apply the best in science and technology for improved environmental decision-making in the region.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the MENRIS Division Head, the incumbent will carry out the following tasks together with the MENRIS team and in close collaboration with other ICIMOD programme teams:
1. Take the lead role in designing and developing a centre-wide enterprise GIS / database for ICIMOD programmatic areas in collaboration with the Integrated Programmes; Provide technical support, following a client-oriented approach, to all relevant ICIMOD programmes to help identify information requirements for their database application, geographic products and training support activities;
2. Establish data management strategies and practices related to data definition, integration and archiving adhering with ICIMOD information management and technology standards, guidelines and procedures; Design and develop GIS database management systems including web mapping applications in accordance with international standards on various thematic areas such as biodiversity, socio-economic, water etc.;
3. Ensure effective functioning of the database administration including proper security, back up, performance tuning and monitoring; Establish periodic update and maintenance procedures of database system and ensure regular maintenance;
4. Provide regular and timely technical reporting and follow-up activities to relevant cooperation and networking partners on behalf of the Division Head; Carry out management support activities and other activities in his/her field of competence at the request of the Head of MENRIS;
5. Establish and maintain a network of institutions and alumni with a particular focus on establishing connectivity between institutions in the HKH region and where relevant beyond;
6. Provide advisory services in the field of geospatial application development though correspondence, direct contact with visitors to ICIMOD, visits to HKH countries, and identifying qualified professionals from network institutions;
7. Assist in developing concept papers and project proposals as well as relevant capacity building and training activities;
8. Coordinate with team members for the effective implementation and management of divisional activities and assist in planning and resource allocation; progress reporting and monitoring; and
9. Work as a team player within ICIMOD to support other programme activities and promote institutional goals; work closely with colleagues within the programme and other ICIMOD programmes to contribute to a constructive and professional working environment and to the further development of ICIMOD as centre of excellence for integrated mountain development.
Minimum qualifications and work experience
* Advanced University degree (Masters Degree or equivalent) preferably in geographic information systems, computer science or other relevant fields;
* Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible relevant, professional experience on geospatial application development of which part preferably gained in the HKH region;
* Practical experience in database-system application development and database management;
* Additional background in GIS software, knowledge of related software systems (Google Earth, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server and other spatial databases), knowledge on various GIS and related open source tools; knowledge of software development cycle.
Additional competencies and skills
* Excellent analytical skills and ability to work systematically;
* Excellent written and oral communication and networking skills;
* Team and team and client-oriented interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural organisation;
* Good planning and coordination skills.
The duty station is Kathmandu; frequent travelling in the region may be required.
Salaries and benefits of ICIMOD are highly competitive compared to other regional organisations; remuneration is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
3 years, of which the first six months on probation and subject to future funding levels of ICIMOD. Starting date is as early as possible, preferably 1 June 2011.
Gender and Equity Policy
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD implements a gender fair policy and is supportive of working women. It operates a day-care Centre at the campus and a Gender Resource Centre and is committed to gender mainstreaming at the organisational and programmatic levels.
Only short- listed candidates will be notified