ICIMOD is a regional knowledge development and learning centre serving the eight member countries of the Hindu Kush-Himalayas – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal and Pakistan. Together with its partners and member countries, ICIMOD is committed to securing a better future for the people of the Hindu Kush-Himalayas through the development of an economically and environmentally sound mountain ecosystem.
ICIMOD promotes integrated and innovative geospatial solutions for mountain development through the Mountain Environment and Natural Resources Information Systems (MENRIS) Programme. MENRIS programme focuses on technology innovation, capacity building and training, development of mountain-specific applications and decision support systems. With the overarching goal of climate change adaptation, the current areas of applications include cryosphere, biodiversity, forestry/REDD+, disaster and transboundary air pollution.
The MENRIS programme is working on several new and exciting developments to promote geo-information and earth observation for the benefit of mountain communities in the region. Recently, ICIMOD joined hands with USAID and NASA to establish SERVIR-Himalaya, a programme aiming to provide linkage from “space to village” and apply the best in science and technology for improved environmental decision-making in the region.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the MENRIS Division Head, the incumbent will carry out the following tasks together with the MENRIS team and in close collaboration with other ICIMOD programme teams:
1. Develop a comprehensive capacity building framework and strategy on geospatial technology and applications to strengthen national partners of ICIMOD member countries; Develop concept papers and project proposals on geospatial capacity building and training programmes;
2. Coordinate the development of training curricula, training materials and manuals with the inputs from thematic experts and functional leads;
3. Lead geospatial capacity building and training activities at the national and regional levels focusing on various applications pertinent to integrated mountain development; Systematically organise and plan regional and national training courses /seminars/workshops;
4. Lead a capacity building programme targeted to the youth and establish linkages with Universities for sustained efforts;
5. Coordinate systematic web presence of capacity development and training activities and e-learning platforms;
6. Establish and maintain a network of institutions and alumni with a particular focus on connectivity between institutions in the HKH region and where relevant beyond; Foster partnership development initiatives for south-south collaboration to share learning experiences in the region and where relevant beyond;
7. Provide advisory services in the field of geospatial capacity building and training though correspondence, direct contact with visitors to ICIMOD, visits to HKH countries, and identifying qualified professionals from network institutions;
8. Coordinate with team members for the effective implementation and management of divisional activities and assist in planning and resource allocation; progress reporting and monitoring;
9. Carry out other activities in his/her field of competence at the request of the Division Head of MENRIS; and
10. Work as a team player within ICIMOD to support other programme activities and promote institutional goals; work closely with colleagues within the programme and other ICIMOD programmes to contribute to a constructive and professional working environment and to the further development of ICIMOD as centre of excellence for integrated mountain development.
Minimum qualifications and work experience
* Advanced University degree (Masters Degree or equivalent) in natural resources and environmental science with a major in geographic information systems and remote sensing or computer science or other relevant fields;
* Minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible relevant, professional experience of which part preferably gained in the HKH region;
* Knowledge of capacity development and adult learning methodologies;
* Practical experience in developing, organising and customising training courses;
* Practical background in GIS/RS software and knowledge of related software systems;
Additional competencies and skills
* Solid analytical skills and ability to work systematically;
* Excellent communication and networking skills;
* Good planning, organising and coordination skills;
* Team-oriented interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural organisation;
The duty station is Kathmandu; frequent travelling in the region may be required.
Salaries and benefits of ICIMOD are highly competitive compared to other regional organisations; remuneration is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
3 years, of which the first six months on probation and subject to future funding levels of ICIMOD. Starting date is as early as possible, preferably 1 June 2011.
Gender and Equity Policy
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD implements a gender fair policy and is supportive of working women. It operates a day-care Centre at the campus and a Gender Resource Centre and is committed to gender mainstreaming at the organisational and programmatic levels.
Only short- listed candidates will be notified.