Location: Cambridge, United States
In an effort to support continuing growth and expand successful work in the areas of conflict resolution and humanitarian policy, Conflict Dynamics is currently seeking a professionally mature and highly-motivated Senior Administrator to play a key role in the development of the organization.
This is an exciting opportunity which will offer an exceptional candidate significant exposure in a growing internationally-focused organization.
This position will also offer an opportunity to work directly with the principal of the organization and make a significant impact across several critical operational areas.
The Senior Administrator will be based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at Conflict Dynamics’ primary office and will be responsible for managing the organization’s grants, human resource related services and organizational finances, and will play a critical role in liaising with organizational and project donors.
As the Senior Administrator progresses in this role, she/he will also have an opportunity to work internationally on a periodic basis and be an activate participant in high level meetings and expansion initiatives.
Conflict Dynamics is a small, innovative and dynamic organization in which employees have an opportunity to contribute substantively to- and shape the work of the organization. We are committed to the development and implementation of high impact activities to resolve conflict and improve the policy and practice of humanitarian action. As such, the position of Senior Administrator offers a unique opportunity to work with an organization committed to “making a difference” in situations of conflict and humanitarian crisis.
Conflict Dynamics International is an independent, not-for-profit organization which works to prevent and resolve violent conflict, and to alleviate human suffering resulting from conflicts and other crises around the world.
Conflict Dynamics was founded in 2004 and strives to fulfill its mission through conflict resolution activities and humanitarian policy development. Conflict Dynamics’ activities span three intersecting program areas: (I) Peacebuilding in Transition States, (II) New Frontiers in Humanitarian Policy and (III) Pressure Points for Conflict Prevention and Resolution. Conflict Dynamics works closely with parties to conflict, national governments, several departments and agencies within the United Nations system, as well as with academic institutions and NGOs.
2 Scope of work/Essential Responsibilities
The Senior Administrator will assume a range of responsibilities collectively intended to ensure the development and smooth working of the organization from a financial, administrative and human resources standpoint. This is a key position within the organization. The ideal candidate will be highly-motivated, assertive, flexible and able to work on a range of issues in a fast-paced environment.
The responsibilities of the Senior Administrator will include, among others:
1. Managing all aspects of the financial and human resources administration of the organization;
2. Managing donor grants, including managing a reporting schedule, preparing and coordinating submission of narrative and financial grant reports in accordance with donor agreed reporting schedules;
3. Monitoring of the overall financial status of the organization, cash flow and future revenue projections;
4. Playing a lead role in evolving the organization’s management strategy, including through development and implementation of administrative and human resource related policies;
5. Working with Conflict Dynamics’ President, Program Officers and Bookkeeper to assist in preparing the financial reports to donors;
6. Managing and administering human resource-related services for the organization, including preparation of contracts for short-term consultants; tracking of Employees’ leave etc.
7. Liaising with donors for preparation of new project proposals and financial budgets; This will include occasional international travel (to Europe and other locations) as well as periodic travel within the United States;
8. Assisting in preparing reports to the Board of Directors;
9. Assisting in preparation of Conflict Dynamics’ annual filings in the United States as required by law (for a not-for-profit organization);
10. Preparation of organizational applications/submissions for affiliation with international organizations;
11. Contributing to grant writing; Supporting outreach efforts and external communications where needed;
12. Coordinating Conflict Dynamics’ interactions with a range of strategic partners.
3 Status and location
The Senior Administrator will be engaged as a full-time employee of Conflict Dynamics, and the position is based at Conflict Dynamics’ primary office in Cambridge, USA. Candidates must have existing authorization to work in the United States.
4 Reporting and management
The Senior Administrator will report directly to Conflict Dynamics’ President and will work closely with all employees.
5 Qualifications / experience
The following are indicative qualifications and expertise required for the Senior Administrator position:
· Minimum of 6 years of experience in organizational and financial administration, in roles with progressive responsibility, in a not-for-profit setting, preferably with an organization engaged in activities with an international dimension. Having a broad base of experience across different organizations is desirable.
· Undergraduate (Bachelor’s) degree required, Master’s degree (desirable) in Public Administration, Business, Management, International Relations or a related field;
· Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills, attention to detail, and follow-through;
· Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including excellent editing skills;
· Experience of grant reporting and management, grant proposal submissions etc.
· Familiarity with QuickBooks software and broad knowledge of Microsoft Office applications including strong word processing and presentation experience and general computer/internet skills;
· Reliable, able to work autonomously, and proactively with little supervision;
· Interest in international affairs preferred;
· Commitment to Conflict Dynamics’ mission and ethos.
· Fluency/strong working level in another language (esp. French, Arabic) desirable.
The salary for this position will be commensurate with experience.
7 Application procedure
Applicants should send a cover letter and Resume/CV by email to email@example.com. The cover letter/email should reference “Senior Administrator position.”
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide recent writing samples and the names of 3 references. Interviews will be held in Cambridge, USA, during June 2011.Apply by: 16 Oct 2011