TrustAfrica is seeking to hire an accomplished, creative, dynamic and tech-savvy individual to serve as its Communications Specialist. The position calls for someone with the ability to see the big picture and strategize accordingly, as well as an eye for detail to ensure that our published materials are of the highest caliber.
Responsibility: Execute and refine a robust, integrated communications strategy encompassing websites, social media, electronic newsletters, print publications and media outreach
Reports to : Executive Director
Liaises with : All staff, as well as outside consultants and vendors
Application Deadline: June 15, 2011
1. Manage websites and social media. The Communications Specialist is responsible for shaping our online presence, a vital role given that our work and our audiences are spread across the continent and throughout the Diaspora. This ongoing task encompasses conceiving and generating new web content; managing the back-end administration of our websites (including affiliated blogs and wikis), liaising with the hosting company to ensure reliability and security, and monitoring web traffic using Google Analytics. It also involves producing timely, informative and appropriate posts on Facebook, Twitter, Picasa and YouTube with an eye to sharing news about our work, building our online constituency and driving traffic to our website.
2. Produce bilingual annual reports, ensuring high quality of final product and meeting deadlines. This yearly project entails developing a theme, writing the text, ensuring the accuracy of financial figures, coordinating translation, sourcing and licensing photographs, collaborating with outside designer and liaising with printer.
3. Produce electronic newsletter. This periodic work involves gathering material and writing news briefs, constructing the newsletter at least six times a year with an online platform (Constant Contact) and monitoring dissemination (opens, click-through rates, etc.).
4. Produce case studies about specific initiatives, projects and research supported by TrustAfrica. The Communications Specialist will be responsible for reporting and writing some of these case studies, assigning and editing those written by others, and disseminating the final versions online.
5. Develop and implement additional communications strategies designed to expand TrustAfrica’s audiences and constituencies and catalyze fundraising from individuals living in Africa and abroad.
6. Perform other tasks as required, such as conducting media outreach, strengthening internal communications via our knowledge management platform, producing brochures and other print publications, developing fundraising materials in collaboration with relevant colleagues, and editing reports and other materials.
7. Maintain highest editorial standards, including consistency and accuracy, while placing a high value on clarity of presentation and ability to engage external audiences.
Qualifications and Skills
1. Advanced university degree in journalism, communications, political science, international relations, African studies — or equivalent experience.
2. At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in international journalism or nonprofit communications.
3. Proven ability to write about complex social and political issues with clarity and vigor, not jargon or fluff, and engage a broad range of readers.
4. Demonstrated experience in writing and editing for interactive web platforms and in strategically employing social media.
5. Aptitude for embracing and mastering new digital tools and web technologies. Familiarity with digital photo editing and page layout software, as well as web page coding tools, a plus. Photography and/or video experience also a plus.
6. Demonstrated commitment to international development and human rights, and/or experience working with grantmaking foundations or civil society organizations. Prior experience living or working in Africa a plus.
7. Track record of working successfully as part of a team, as well as showing high levels of initiative when working under limited supervision.
8. Excellent English written and verbal communication skills, with good knowledge of French a plus.
9. Commitment to TrustAfrica’s core values of integrity, transparency, accountability, empowerment and results.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience, and TrustAfrica will provide generous employee benefits. TrustAfrica will also pay reasonable relocation expenses to Dakar.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit the following application materials in English: a cover letter, a detailed CV describing the candidate’s experience, and names and contact information of two referees. Only completed applications will be considered.