Vacancy Number: KSCS/KMIS/04/11
Department: Knowledge Management and Information Services (KMIS)
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works at the crossroads of livestock and poverty, bringing high-quality livestock science, communications and capacity building to bear on poverty reduction and sustainable development. ILRI is one of 15 centres supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). ILRI has campuses in Kenya (headquarters) and Ethiopia, with other offices located in other regions of Africa (Mali, Mozambique, Nigeria) as well as in South Asia (India, Sri Lanka), Southeast Asia (Laos, Thailand, Vietnam) and East Asia (China). For more information, please visit www.ilri.org
The Position: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Knowledge Sharing and Communication Specialist in Knowledge Management and Information Services within Partnerships and Communications Division. The selected candidate will report to the Head of Knowledge Management & Information Services.
Location: The position will be based in ILRI Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Promotes and supports knowledge sharing and learning approaches and tools across ILRI projects and programs, including emerging CGIAR research programs
• Designs and facilitates events and participatory processes at ILRI to maximize knowledge sharing, communication and the effective engagement of staff, partners and outside event participants
• Supports, trains and otherwise supports the skills of ILRI staff and partners to effectively create, share, communicate and assess/review their knowledge
• Contributes to ILRI thinking and practice in the application of knowledge, learning and communication in multi-stakeholder value chains, learning alliances, networks, and innovation platforms and systems
• Leads ILRI work on the monitoring, evaluation, outcome mapping and impact assessment of knowledge, learning and communication investments and activities
• Helps document and disseminate ILRI experiences with knowledge sharing and communication on appropriate corporate and related external channels
• Promotes the effective use and uptakes of social media across ILRI
• Supports and facilitates knowledge sharing and communication in different regions where ILRI works, especially West and Southern Africa
• Contributes to CGIAR-wide actions to better create and share knowledge, putting it to use in development contexts
• Identifies and connects ILRI with relevant regional and global expertise, initiatives and communities working with knowledge in development
The jobholder requires a relevant Masters degree or a relevant first degree plus a relevant post graduate professional qualification.
• Fluent English and French essential, knowledge of Portuguese desirable
• At least 10 years experience with some aspect of research or science communication, information/knowledge management, publishing, or participatory development, ideally in an international development context;
• Demonstrated writing and communication skills, including with social media
• Excellent interpersonal, team and facilitation skills
• Qualifications or experience related to agriculture, water, natural resource management or rural development
• Experience with knowledge sharing and communication in multi-stakeholder contexts
• Demonstrated enthusiasm for learning and communication, sharing skills and putting knowledge to work
Applies advanced knowledge and experience in the discipline to the development of new methods, programs and procedures.
Ability to strongly influence professional thinking and practice in ILRI Communicates verbal and written messages within and beyond the organization e.g. stakeholders, donors, collaborators, on policy, management and/or scientific issues.
Transfers skills and knowledge through formal and informal methods on operational issues, technologies, techniques and approaches to people inside and outside the organization
ILRI offers an internationally competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars, benefits package and a collegial and gender and diversity -sensitive working environment. The initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of renewal contingent upon individual performance.
Applications: Applicants should send a cover letter expressing their interest, detailed curriculum vitae and the names and addresses (including telephone, fax and e-mail) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Human Resources Office, P.O.Box 5689, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; e-mail recruit-ilri-Eth@cgiar.org.
ILRI vacancy: Knowledge Sharing and Communication Specialist (closing date – June 24, 2011).
We will begin reviewing applications after June 27, 2011 – or until the position is filled.
Schedule for Selection Process: There may be telephone interviews for short-listed candidates during mid July 2011 and selection interviews will be held in ILRI Addis Ababa during July 2011. Although these dates may be subject to change, it would be useful if candidates could be available around these dates.
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer and is keen to further diversify its staff in terms of both gender and nationality.