Date Posted: Jun 16, 2011 Closing Date: Jul 11, 2011
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, metallurgical coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TCK.A and TCK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TCK. Further information about Teck can be found at www.teck.com.
We are currently seeking individuals for Hinton, AB and Sparwood, BC in the role of:
Community and First Nations Liaison
Reporting to the Manager, Community & Governmental Affairs, the Community and First Nations Liaison will be responsible for engaging both internal clients and external communities of interest (COIs) in support of Teck Coal’s social license and for consultation regarding the company’s operating plans, corporate philosophies and sustainability processes. The Community and First Nations Liaison is responsible for engaging with First Nations, the general public, communities, and interested community groups and organizations to assist Teck Coal in its understanding of community issues and to help develop proactive strategies in support of the company’s community investment and engagement plans.
• Build and sustain meaningful relationships and dialogue with First Nations, members of the public, Teck Coal employees and advocates of community groups
• Organize company and community interactive initiatives
• Attend public events
• Manage community investment budget
• Plan and develop consultation strategies in support of the company’s business and strategic objectives
• Develop, advise and provide support for internal and external consultation
• Identify and engage key COIs, First Nations and individuals
• Develop, produce, write and create consultation plans in response to identified business objectives outlining the objectives, tone, approach, appropriate medium/tool(s) and style for each project including robust feedback mechanisms and reporting
• Deploy, track and verify effectiveness of consultation plans
• Prepare complete and accurate consultation reports for both internal and external publication
• Identify opportunities for consultation process improvements
• Post-secondary degree in communications, journalism or in a business discipline with a significant community engagement component or an acceptable equivalent combination of education, training and experience
• Minimum of five years of progressive experience in community engagement processes, corporate communications or other relationship-building processes
• Excellent writing, editing, interpersonal and presentation skills
• High levels of creativity, enthusiasm, personal integrity, with a strong commitment to a dynamic team environment
• Experience in recording and responding to stakeholder feedback
• Experience in managing multiple projects
• Experience handling sensitive issues
• Proven ability to quickly grasp and assimilate complex corporate and technical material and communicate effectively to a general audience
• Strong computer skills: Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook)
Teck Coal is committed to work life balance. When combined with the natural beauty and significant outdoor recreation offered in the Rocky Mountains of British Columbia and Alberta, our employment opportunities are truly unmatched. Teck Coal offers an excellent salary and benefits package.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically. To apply for this position, please click here.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.