Location: Open. New York, NY; Washington, DC; or Los Angeles metropolitan areas preferred.
Overview of the Alliance: The Alliance for a Healthier Generation was formed in May of 2005 after the American Heart Association and the William J. Clinton Foundation joined forces to create a healthier generation by addressing one of the nation's leading public health threats -- childhood obesity. The Alliance works to positively affect the places that can make a difference to a child's health: homes, schools, restaurants, doctor's offices and communities.
It is the goal of the Alliance to fill employment vacancies with the most qualified applicants, whether recruiting internally or externally. Strong consideration will be given to qualified internal candidates. All internal and external candidates must comply with application requirements.
Overview of the Position:
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Senior Vice President (SVP), Development serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting the Alliance for a Healthier Generation (the Alliance). In partnership with the CEO, this position leads all marketing and development activities. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build the Alliance’s visibility, impact, and financial resources.
The SVP will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure necessary to grow the brand visibility and budget of the Alliance. S/he will oversee a development department charged with growing a $14 million annual budget through the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support. S/he will also oversee a marketing and communications department charged with positioning the Alliance as a leading non-profit organization in the child health arena.
- In partnership with the CEO, provide leadership on a comprehensive development strategy, including corporate, foundation, government grants, and individual donors.
- In partnership with the CEO, provide leadership on a comprehensive marketing and brand development strategy.
- Supervise, develop, and mentor the development and marketing/communications teams.
- Research and develop strategies and plans which identify marketing opportunities, direct marketing, and new project development.
- Oversee development and marketing budgets, and oversee the development and management of internal operating budgets.
- Oversee the management and strategic development of major and critical developing client accounts.
- Serve as a primary representative with corporations, media organization and major donors.
- Establish and implement short- and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors.
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development and marketing efforts.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in marketing, communications and development.
- Demonstrated success in raising and managing six- and seven-figure donors.
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical aspects to marketing and development.
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside the Alliance.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred.
- High energy and passion for the Alliance’s mission.
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Impeccable judgment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A professional and resourceful style; ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time.